If this is the first boat you are looking to purchase through us, we recommend you review our checklist on Buying a Brokerage Boat and How to Avoid the 7 Most Common Boat Buying Mistakes.
It covers 7 critical points that will help you maximize your chances of finding the perfect boat:
- Ask to see the vessel’s maintenance history: Make sure to ask questions related to engines, generators, electronics, onboard systems etc..
- Find out what repairs have happened in the last few years: Unfortunately all boats (new and used) break down from time to time. If fixes haven’t been needed yet, the boat could be a ticking time bomb for repairs.
- Find out why they’re selling: Sometimes sellers are very eager to sell because they want to off-load junk.
- Ask to Speak with the Professionals who maintained the vessel: Nobody knows the intricacies of a boat like a professional mechanic, dealer or shipyard.
- Run a Vessel History & Documentation: You absolutely need to know if the vessel has lawsuits or liens against it and if any money is still owed to a bank or financing company.
- Get help from a Professional Broker: The right broker helps by listening to your needs and assists you with any potential difficulties. Brokers will assist you through the entire buying process.
- Organize a Survey: Get a survey from an independent and professional marine surveyor. To view a list of local marine surveyors CLICK HERE
If you follow those 7 simple steps,you could literally save yourself thousands in unexpected repairs.